Open meeting of ITS POLSKA’s Regional Branch in Lublin
29 January 2013, Lublin
On 29 January 2013, an open meeting of ITS POLSKA’s Regional Branch in Lublin was held at the Teachers’ Home at 4 Akademicka Street in Lublin. The meeting was attended by members and friends of ITS Polska, invited guests and individuals that learned about the meeting by listening to Polish Radio Lublin. The attendance is attached. Before the meeting, at 2 p.m. director Jerzy Ekiert gave an interview to Jacek Bieniaszkiewicz of Radio Lublin. A report on the interview was broadcast on the radio at 3 p.m. in the radio station’s automotive programme, even before the meeting. more>>
ITS POLSKA’S first regional branch opened in Lublin
On 12 June 2012, ITS POLSKA’s regional branch in the city of Lublin began operation. The president of ITS POLSKA, Marek Litwin, and the initiative group led by Jerzy Ekiert met Jacek Sobczak, the Lublin Province Directorate member responsible for infrastructure, who offered his support for the idea of opening a branch of the ITS POLSKA association in Lublin.
Photo report – view
At 11 a.m. there was a press conference attended by representatives of the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways, namely Zdzisław Tworek as Head of the Road Traffic Safety Department, and Marek Żmijan. During the conference, the president of ITS POLSKA, Marek Litwin, gave an opening speech stressing that ITS POLSKA is a professional, public-private initiative working to support the processes of developing and implementing intelligent transportation systems. He also referred to the association’s motto: “Gather data and use it many times and in different applications” as a crucial factor in effective utilisation of ITS systems.
The president’s speech was followed by a presentation of the Lublin branch by Jerzy Ekiert, the leader of the initiative group. The presentation included the following activities planned by the new branch for the next 18 months, i.e. from 1 June 2012 to 31 December 2013:
- organising a seminar with the working name “Opening a branch of the ITS Association in Lublin”
- organising a seminar on Management of Air Space in Air Transport
- organising a conference called The Via Carpatia Route and the Economy of the Lublin Region
- organising a conference called City Bypass Traffic Management Open Door Event – Traffic Control Centre for the Lublin Bypass.
In addition, the presentation covered solutions proposed by ITS for use by local government authorities in the following areas:
- weight-based preselection,
- the effect of accurate traffic measurement, modelling and forecasting on increased safety and better economic performance of road projects,
- the problems of road traffic control and parking in urban areas based on the example of the city of Lublin - geometric solutions for streets versus driving suitability and road safety, - monitoring and controlling traffic arrangements for an extensive network of biking routes in cities and their surrounding areas,
- transportation tasks and safety at local airports and flying clubs,
- border checkpoints along the Easter border of Poland, ways of improving and shortening checkpoint procedures,
- safe and efficient railway transport as an alternative to the carriage of goods and passengers by road – the problems, solutions and the future,
- the prospects for the development of Asia – Western Europe transit through Poland,
- instruments for regulating permissible vehicle loads for roads as a way to increase road surface durability.
Among the speakers at the conference was also Marek Żmijan, representing the General Directorate for National Roads and Motorways, who talked about, among other things, the Traffic Management Centre for the Lublin Bypass or more specifically, about the Lubartów interchange, which is to become part of the National Road Traffic Management System. Attendees at the conference also included representatives of the local media: Radio Lublin and Kurier Lubelski. Of course, the Przegląd ITS medium was also represented.
Lublin Branch address:
ITS POLSKA - Regionalny Oddział Lubelski
ul. Marii Skłodowskiej-Curie 3 lok. 67, 20-029 Lublin (Lubelski Dom Technika NOT)